Learn about the Federal Skilled Worker Program

Federal Skilled Worker Program FSWP

The Federal Skilled Worker Program is one of the three programs under the Express Entry system. Based on their work experience, language skills, and other factors, skilled workers may choose to apply for permanent residence in Canada under this program.


Who is eligible for the Federal Skilled Worker Program?

The primary eligibility criteria for the FSWP is a minimum of 67 points under the following six selection factors.

The maximum points for each of the factors are:

  • Language Skills (28 points)
  • Education (25 points)
  • Work Experience (15 points)
  • Age (12 points)
  • Offer of employment in Canada (10 points)
  • Adaptability (10 points)

Apart from this basic eligibility, the factors also include

Work ExperienceAt least one year of paid continuous full-time or equal amount part-time skilled work experience in the NOC code 0, A, B in the past ten years

Language Proficiency: A minimum language ability of CLB 7 in either of the approved language tests of IELTS or CELPIP

Education: Completed education equivalent to Canadian secondary or post-secondary school assessed and certified by an approved Education Credential Assessment (ECA) Report.

Proof of Funds: Funds sufficient for you (and your family) to settle in Canada unless you have a valid offer of arranged employment in Canada or are currently working or authorized to work in Canada.

Other factorsYour admissibility to Canada and the intent to reside outside the province of Quebec once approved.

Who is eligible for Express Entry?

Anyone who satisfies the prerequisites based on work experience, language proficiency, education, and age is eligible to create a profile under the Express Entry system. Creating a profile is free of cost.

However, to receive an ITA from ICCRC under any of the programs of the Express Entry, a competitive CRS score is usually required, which should be above the Express Entry draw cut-off. Typically, the Canadian Government conducts a draw once every two weeks.

Where can I get my Educational Credential Assessment done?

To ensure its validity and equivalence to the Canadian educational system, an Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) is required for all foreign education credentials, including a degree, diploma, or certificate.

The IRCC has a list of designated organizations for ECA, and the processing time and cost vary for each.

The IRCC has also designated professional bodies for ECA for physicians and pharmacists: