Special measures to support Hong Kong residents to come to Canada. At Sanghera immigration, we have been dealing with clients from Hong Kong for over a decade with incredible results. Are you a Hong Kong resident who is planning to come to Canada? We are sure we will be able to help you.


  • Canadian citizens, persons registered under the Indian Act, Canadian permanent residents or protected persons in Hong Kong, and their immediate and extended family members living in Hong Kong regardless of nationality.
  • Immediate family members of Hong Kong residents who will be working or studying in Canada
  • Residents of Hong Kong, who may be living in Canada, the United States, or abroad, and who hold a passport issued by either of the following:
    • The Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) of the People’s Republic of China Regulations (IRPR)
    • The United Kingdom to a British National Overseas (BNO), as a person born, naturalized.


HKSAR and BNO (Hong Kong) passport holders who are temporary residents in Canada may have their fees waived under these special measures if they are applying for an extension of authorization to remain in Canada as a



IRCC will give priority processing to temporary residence applications from immediate and extended family members (as defined in the Orders in Council) of Canadian citizens, persons registered under the Indian Act, Canadian permanent residents and protected persons in Canada who have applied for permanent residence, if their family members abroad hold a valid passport and have remained in, or have departed, Hong Kong. These measures apply to new and existing applications.


Priority processing should be given to all study permit applications received from HKSAR and BNO passport holders. Until further notice, applicants will not be refused for non-compliance.


As of February 8, 2021, foreign nationals who hold either a HKSAR or BNO passport are eligible to apply for an open work permit under a 2-year temporary resident. Eligible spouses or common-law partners, as well as dependent children, can also apply for a study or work permit, as appropriate.

Eligibility requirements:


The applicant must hold either a:

The educational credential must have been obtained in the 5 years immediately preceding application submission. For degrees issued overseas, officers may request an ECA report.


Mandatory Documents:
“Not applicable” documents

Police certificates

As with any case, the officer reviewing the file may require a police certificate in order to be fully satisfied that the applicant is not criminally inadmissible.


Prior to closing the program’s 2020 season on November 12, 2020, International Experience Canada (IEC) invited a number of Hong Kong youth in the IEC pool to submit an application. Hong Kong youth will not be able to enter Canada unless they have

Applications in progress will not be closed or refused for lack of documentation or inability to complete the application process in time, such as giving biometrics or completing a medical exam.


Permanent residence applications from family members of Canadian citizens, persons registered under the Indian Act, permanent residents or protected persons residing in Hong Kong that are in processing should be prioritized where feasible.


Priority processing should be given to family class applications received from legal residents of Hong Kong (whether they are currently in Canada or outside of Canada or in the U.S.).

Call Us Now