The Agri-Food Pilot has been implemented by the Canadian government to fill vital labour needs of the agri-food sector. Workers that fall under this pilot are provided a pathway to permanent residence. It is a great pathway to permanent residence for those that are willing to work a labour job with limited English skills.

The Agri-Food Pilot is industry-specific, aimed at attracting non-seasonal farm and livestock workers who have the intention of settling and remaining in Canada year-round, particularly in the meat processing, animal raising, green housing, and mushroom production sectors. To be eligible, you must have a valid job offer in one of the specialized occupations as well as at least 1 year experience.

 Annual limits

IRCC will process a maximum limit of 2,750 applications each year.

Starting on January 1 of each year, applications will be processed on a first-come, first-served basis.

If your application is rejected due to the annual limit being rejected, your processing fees will be reimbursed from IRCC.

Eligible industries under the pilot are:

  • meat product manufacturing (NAICS 3116)
  • greenhouse, nursery and floriculture production, including mushroom production (NAICS 1114)
  • animal production, excluding aquaculture
    • cattle ranching and farming (NAICS 1121)
    • hog and pig farming (NAICS 1122)
    • poultry and egg production (NAICS 1123)
    • sheep and goat farming (NAICS 1124)
    • other animal production (NAICS 1129)

 General Eligibility Requirements

  • have eligible work experience

Must have 1 year of non-seasonal, full-time work in the past 3 years in Canada (1560 hours) in one or more of the eligible occupations listed above

This work must have been done through the temporary foreign worker program, i.e. LMIA supported job experience – any experience gained via a open work permit does not count

  • have an eligible job offer

Permanent, full-time, non-seasonal job offer in one of the eligible job occupations in one of the eligible industries

  • meet or pass the language requirements

Must achieve a minimum of CLB 4 in reading, writing, speaking, and listening from an approved language test

  • meet or pass the education requirements

Must have the equivalent of a Canadian high school diploma

  • prove you have enough money to settle in Canada (if applicable)

If you’re already working in Canada with a valid work permit, you do not need to provide proof of funds

  • have maintained your temporary resident status (if already in Canada)